Safety and Testing
Responsible lift manufacturers have their lifts third-party tested, certified and marked in accordance with the requirements of the ALI Lift Certification Program. Through ALI’s program, testing and certification of additional models and styles of lifts is on-going. ALI currently certifies the following lift types:
- Two-Post Surface
- Low/Mid-Rise Frame-Engaging
- Drive-On Parallelogram
- Moveable Wheel Engaging (Mobile Column)
A vehicle lift bearing the ALI Certification Mark along with an ETL, TUV, or MET listing mark, as applicable, indicates that the lift complies with the following requirements:
- Lift models must be tested in accordance with the Program Procedural Guide and in accordance with the performance requirements of the American National Standard “Automotive Lifts – Safety Requirements for Construction, Testing, and Validation” ANSI/ALI ALCTV (current edition).
- All electrically operated vehicle lift models must be listed by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL),in accordance with ANSI/UL 201 entitled “American National Standard for Safety for Garage Equipment”; and for installation in Canada, in accordance with CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 68.
- The lift manufacturer’s authorized production facility must meet quality control requirements that are outlined in the Program Procedural Guide. This is verified by frequent surveillance and plant inspections.
- Manufacturer-provided instructions and manuals, as well as lift operator safety documents, must be comprehensive and conform to the requirements of the Program Procedural Guide.